The present building was erected, following the collapse of the pre-Reformation church roof, in 1793, during the ministry of the Rev. David Wilkie and has undergone very little change either internally or externally. It stands on a little mounded site with a surrounding kirkyard, all enclosed and supported by an ancient retaining wall. Even in these modern times, when most churches are securely locked, every door in Cults is on the latch. The diminutive Session House, set close to the kirkyard gate with a cap of local tiles, gives us a glimpse of the early 19th century. Very little is known about the history of this building.
On the west gable, a steep stone stair leads up to the Belfry. The birdcage bellcote with carved pillars is a strange contrast to the plainness of the Kirk itself. Before 1983, when the belfry was declared unsafe, it became clear that the thrifty heritors had used the supports of an old table tombstone! Now, new carved pillars, which it is hoped will mellow with age, carry the belfry roof.
The Bell, rung to call the worshippers to church, is inscribed “John Meikle, Edinburgh, fecit for the Kirk at Cults, 1699”. After being damaged in the January gales in 1990, the Weather-Vane was replaced by a new “Cock-a-doodle” which can be seen from miles away, shining in the sunlight. The old weather-vane can still be seen in the Laird’s Pew.
The window on the left by Douglas Hamilton of Glasgow is in memory of Lily Marr, the much loved wife of John, a former Session Clerk.
In the belfry wall is a small round Stained Glass Window, “The Burning Bush”, designed and gifted by Cara McNeil, daughter of a former Elder in Cults.